As education becomes more accessible, the number of military personnel pursuing higher education rises. Online education is a perfect solution for military veterans or active-duty personnel who want to advance their education while still performing their job duties. However, with so many options available, it can be challenging to find the right school for your needs. In this article, we will discuss some of the best online military-friendly colleges around the country that offer the right setting for military personnel to achieve their educational goals.
Many universities, both public and private, offer online programs, but not all of them are military-friendly. The criteria for a college to be considered military-friendly include the ease of enrollment and credit transfer, financial assistance, and support during the completion of a degree program. These schools have committed to providing military-friendly services, including dedicated staff and advisors knowledgeable about the particular needs of military students. For instance, some of these programs offer flexible scheduling options and accelerated courses to help military personnel complete their degree program in the shortest possible time.
What are Online Military Friendly Colleges?
Online Military Friendly Colleges are institutions that offer flexible, affordable and supportive academic programs, services and tools to military personnel, veterans and their families.
Benefits of Attending Military Friendly Colleges Online
Attending military friendly colleges online can help military personnel overcome the unique challenges they face such as mobility, deployment, and family responsibilities, and allow them to pursue their educational and career goals with ease.
Understanding the Benefits of Online Military Friendly Colleges
Online education has revolutionized the way students learn, especially for military personnel. Unlike traditional classroom settings, online military-friendly colleges offer flexible schedules and a supportive environment for active-duty military members, veterans, and their families. With the ever-increasing demand for higher education, online learning has emerged as a viable option for students juggling multiple responsibilities.
In the following sections, we will explore various aspects of online military-friendly colleges. These include the benefits of enrolling in them, financing your education, available programs, and top institutions offering online military-friendly degrees.
Benefits of Enrolling in Online Military Friendly Colleges
There are numerous benefits to enrolling in online military-friendly colleges compared to traditional institutions. Some of these advantages include:
- Flexible Schedules: Most online military-friendly colleges provide asynchronous learning environments, meaning that students can complete coursework at their own pace. This flexibility allows military personnel to balance their academic pursuits with their duties and responsibilities, often in remote locations.
- Lower Costs: Online education often costs less than traditional classroom-based programs. Additionally, online military-friendly colleges may offer tuition discounts for military personnel and their families. This helps them save money while still obtaining quality education.
- Consistent Curriculum: Online instructors follow the same curriculum as traditional colleges. This ensures that students have access to the same educational opportunities and resources as those in traditional classrooms.
- Accessible Student Support: Military personnel may require more academic support than their civilian counterparts, due to their often demanding schedules. Online military-friendly colleges provide robust support systems, including academic advisors, online tutoring, and technical support, thereby enabling students to perform better academically.
- Transferable Credits: Online military-friendly colleges often have agreements with traditional colleges and universities, allowing credits to be transferred upon completion of a degree. This means that military personnel can earn credits while on active duty and transfer them to a traditional college when they complete their service.
Financing Your Online Military-Friendly Education
While the benefits of online military-friendly colleges are appealing, financing your education can be a challenge. Fortunately, there are several financing options available for military personnel. These include:
- GI Bill® Benefits: The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides educational benefits for military personnel who have spent at least 90 days on active duty since September 11, 2001. The bill covers tuition and fees, housing allowances, and book stipends for eligible individuals.
- Tuition Assistance: Tuition assistance programs are offered by the military branches and can cover up to 100% of tuition costs for eligible servicemembers based on rank and length of service. Eligibility and requirements vary by branch.
- Scholarships: There are multiple scholarships available to military personnel and their families. Scholarships are awarded based on merit, need, or a combination of both.
- Student Loans: Military personnel may also apply for student loans to finance their education. Federal student loans generally offer lower interest rates and more favorable terms than private student loans.
Available Programs at Online Military-Friendly Colleges
There are numerous programs available at online military-friendly colleges. Programs are available at the undergraduate and graduate levels and vary according to institution. Some of the most popular programs include:
- Business: Business programs are among the most popular programs in online military-friendly colleges. These programs focus on finance, management, and marketing.
- Communications: Communications programs offer students the opportunity to gain skills in journalism, public relations, advertising, and other media-related fields.
- Computer Science: Computer Science programs provide students with a foundation in programming, web design, and software development.
- Criminal Justice: Criminal Justice programs combine legal principles with law enforcement issues, providing students with a comprehensive understanding of the justice system.
- Healthcare: Healthcare programs prepare students for careers in nursing, healthcare management, and other medical professions.
Top Institutions Offering Online Military-Friendly Degrees
There are several institutions offering online military-friendly degrees. These include:
- University of Maryland Global Campus: The University of Maryland Global Campus is a public university that offers undergraduate and graduate programs to military personnel and their families. It is consistently ranked among the best online military-friendly colleges.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is a private university that specializes in aviation and aerospace education. It offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and has been named the best online military-friendly college for eight consecutive years.
- Arizona State University: Arizona State University is a public university that offers more than 200 online degree programs. It has been recognized as one of the best online military-friendly colleges and offers flexible schedules for active-duty military personnel.
- Central Michigan University: Central Michigan University is a public university that offers online undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of fields. It has been named a top online military-friendly college and offers education benefits to active-duty military personnel, veterans, and their families.
In conclusion, online military-friendly colleges offer numerous benefits for military personnel, including flexible schedules, accessible support, and lower costs. Financing your education may be challenging, but there are options available, such as the GI Bill®, scholarships, and student loans. Programs at online military-friendly colleges are abundant and vary according to institution. Institutions such as the University of Maryland Global Campus, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Arizona State University, and Central Michigan University rank among the best online military-friendly colleges and offer a range of programs. Online military-friendly colleges are an excellent option for military personnel, veterans, and their families seeking higher education opportunities.
1. What are online military friendly colleges?
Online military friendly colleges are institutions of higher education that offer programs and services specifically designed for military service members, veterans, and their families. They have policies that support military students and are committed to providing flexible, valuable, and accessible online learning opportunities for them.
2. How do online military friendly colleges support military students?
Online military friendly colleges provide a range of support services to military students, including academic advising, tutoring, disability support, career counseling, and financial aid. They also have staff members who are knowledgeable about military education benefits and can help with navigating the admissions process and transferring credits.
3. What are the benefits of attending an online military friendly college?
There are many benefits to attending an online military friendly college, including the flexibility and convenience of online learning, the ability to earn college credits for military training and experience, and dedicated support services for military students. Additionally, some colleges offer tuition discounts and scholarships for military students.
4. Do online military friendly colleges offer degree programs?
Yes, online military friendly colleges offer a wide variety of degree programs, including undergraduate and graduate degrees in areas such as business, healthcare, education, and technology. They may also offer certificate programs and professional development courses.
5. What types of online learning formats do military friendly colleges offer?
Most online military friendly colleges offer asynchronous learning, which means that students can access course materials and complete assignments at their own pace. Some may also offer synchronous learning, which involves live online classes and discussions. Hybrid formats, which combine online and on-campus classes, may also be available.
6. How can I find an online military friendly college?
There are many resources available for finding online military friendly colleges, including the Department of Defense’s Voluntary Education Program, Military Friendly’s website, and the Department of Veterans Affairs’ GI Bill Comparison Tool. Colleges may also have specific websites or staff members dedicated to supporting military students.
7. Are online military friendly colleges accredited?
Most online military friendly colleges are accredited by regional accrediting bodies or national accrediting agencies recognized by the Department of Education. Accreditation ensures that a college or university meets quality standards for academics, faculty, and student support services.
8. Can I use my military education benefits at online military friendly colleges?
Yes, military education benefits, such as the GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, and MyCAA, can typically be used at online military friendly colleges. However, it is important to check with both the college and the military education office to ensure that the benefits can be applied to the specific program of study.
9. How do I apply to an online military friendly college?
The application process for online military friendly colleges varies depending on the college and the program. Generally, students will need to complete an online application form, submit transcripts from previous colleges attended, and provide documentation of military service and any applicable military education benefits.
10. How long does it take to earn a degree from an online military friendly college?
The time it takes to earn a degree from an online military friendly college depends on the program and the student’s individual pace. Generally, undergraduate degree programs take 4-5 years to complete, while graduate degree programs take 1-3 years. Some online military friendly colleges may offer accelerated programs that allow students to complete their degrees more quickly.